The Thomas Square Streetcar Historic District in Savannah, Georgia...
was designated a National Registered Historic District in 1997. Thomas Square contains a collection of historic, intact residential, commercial, and community buildings associated with the Thomas Square Neighborhood.
Developed in the late nineteenth century, Thomas Square is bounded by Anderson Lane on the north, East Broad Street, roughly Victory Drive on the south, and Montgomery Street on the west. The city electrified the streetcar in 1888 and extended the A and B Belt line south along Whitaker Street into this district, creating a streetcar suburb. The streetcar lines were removed in 1920 due to the increased use of the automobile.
In this Savannah, GA city district one finds significant examples of Queen Anne, Folk Victorian, Italianate, Neoclassical Revival, Colonial Revival, Greek Revival, and Craftsman style residential architecture. This area is also rich in community landmarks, such as the Little Sisters of the Poor complex and Herme’s Bakery, the only store remaining from a shopping center at the corner of 32nd and Bull streets.